Grudem: Providence, Miracles, and Prayer


In this portion of my reading, I read three different chapters covering the following subjects: God's providence, miracles, and prayer. Each of these subjects can be treated at great length, but I would like to scratch the surface and give you the basic points Grudem makes on each.

After reading through the chapter dealing with God's providence, I was impressed with Grudem's layout, specifically, the simplicity he brings to the subject. In this chapter, he covers the debate between the Arminianism and Calvinism, the problem of evil, and free will.

When I think of these subjects individually, I know there are numerous books and essays that deal with the subject in great detail. However, Grudem writes it in such a way that makes it very readable. This is a chapter that I will use in the future if I ever have to teach on the subject, specifically with young people.

Grudem is not shy to state that he holds to a Calvinist conviction. However, he does an excellent job in explaining what Calvinism is and what it is not (see the footnote on p. 315-16). Wording is very important and Grudem and this is seen when he explains what is meant by "free will." There is much more that can be discussed, but suffice to say that I recommend that every Christian read this chapter as an introduction to the subject.

Grudem's chapter on miracles is very brief compared to other chapters in his systematic theology. What I appreciate about Grudem in this chapter is that he is not willing to build a box around God and say what God can or cannot do. He does acknowledge that miracles are not a common action of God, but when God does perform a miracle, it is to bring all the glory to Himself. Another point that Grudem brings concerning if miracles are for Christians today is the purpose for which miracles are sought. Many in modern times seek miracles for fame, money and power, rarely for the amplification of God's glory. Overall, this chapter was very helpful to begin thinking through this issue.

Finally, in the chapter concerning prayer, Grudem is very succinct and to the point. He covers why we are to pray, how we are to pray, and most importantly, praying according to God's will. The reason I say the last point is most important is because this is the one that is most attacked today.

Throughout my time in high school youth group, we always set aside time for prayer and praise. Too often did many high school students pray self-centered. For example, "I pray that I can get a car." This statement seems to be a popular one. What I appreciated about my youth pastor (who also happens to be my dad) was he took time during these requests to correct ad guide the students to pray in a way that God's glory was primary. Instead, pray this way, "Lord, if it is your will and if it brings you glory, I pray that I may receive a job in order to purchase a car." This payer is not an exact prayer, but you get the point: Man is the center of the first prayer, but God is the center of the second prayer.

These chapters were very enjoyable to read. I would recommend these chapters to anyone in the church.

0 comments:

Post a Comment